Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Parenting is

Crying on the living room floor isn't going to get me my Americano.  Moments like this I know stopping at two kids is the right decision.

This morning I found myself cursing under my breath, hoping to god my 4 year old would finish his breakfast so I could let him watch cartoons, thus allowing me to get my coffee.  He did 1 hour 45 minutes, a naughty spot, and all my sanity later.  This is parenting.

Parenting is your 1 year old concertedly frowning at her blubbering heap of a mother.  Then climbing on top of said mess to give kisses until giggles erupt.

Parenting is requiring your 4 year old to rephrase in the form of a question fifty times a day, until he understands you're not his servant.
Parenting is realizing he learned it from you, and changing the way you speak to your spouse.

Parenting is apologizing to your child for yelling, and acting like a 4 year old yourself.

Parenting is giving up on a clean kitchen and reading Violet the Pilot for the hundredth time.

Parenting is learning to have compassion for yourself, so your children will grow up knowing how to have compassion towards themselves and others.

Parenting is vulnerability.  Unparalleled joy and simultaneous sadness that these moments won't last forever.

Parenting is knowing you will have regrets but trying your best anyways.

What is parenting to you?

2 comments: